What is esophageal cancer? Esophageal cancer is cancer that creates in the esophagus. The esophagus is a long, hollow tube that carries food from throat to the stomach. The esophagus helps you to move the food from the back of the throat to the stomach to be digested.
Cancer can occur in anywhere in the esophagus. Men and women get esophageal cancer. The esophageal cancer is the sixth common cancer which causes death worldwide. The cancer causes may be a use of high alcohol, tobacco, high drink, poor diet etc.
Esophageal Cancer Signs and Symptoms:
The esophageal cancer symptoms generally do not appear until the 60% cancer infiltrated over the esophageal tube. In this time, the tumor is in the advanced stage. The signs and symptoms of esophageal cancer include below:
- The most common signs of esophageal cancer usually feel difficulty in swallowing. The difficulties feel first when the solid food is swallowing. Then the food softer and convert into liquids.
- Weight loss is another sign of esophageal cancer. The weight loss without any trying or exercise.
- Sometimes, feel pain in different body parts at breastbone, chest. Sometimes, it causes pressure.
- Another sign of the esophageal cancer is dry sounding cough and bloody vomiting. As a result, the tumor affecting nerve.
- The liver, nerve, lungs metastasis is the cause and the other symptoms of esophageal cancer.
- The voice sounds rough.
Esophageal Cancer Causes:
It is not exactly clear the causes of esophageal cancer. Cancer occurs when cells esophagus errors in their DNA. The errors make cells out of control and grow. The abnormal cells occur as a tumor in the esophagus that can spread to the other parts of the body.
Types of Esophageal Cancer:
The types of esophageal cancer depend on the types of the cells. The type of esophageal cancer helps to determine treatment options. The type of esophageal cancer is given below:
- Adenocarcinoma: An adenocarcinoma is a common form of esophagus cancer. In the United States, the men are more affected by cancer than women. It begins in the cells of the esophagus. Adenocarcinoma occurs primarily in the lower part of the esophagus.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: The Squamous cell is the thin cells line the surface of the esophagus. Squamous cell carcinoma occurs in the upper and middle part of the esophagus. It is the most dominant esophageal cancer in worldwide.
- Other Types: The other forms of the esophageal cancer are a sarcoma, choriocarcinoma, melanoma and small cell carcinoma etc.
Prevention of Cancer:
Some small steps can be taken to prevent esophageal cancer. Some of them are includes:
- Give up Smoke: If you smoke, give up this bad habit as soon as possible. It is the main reason behind cancer and also injurious to health.
- Not Drink Alcohol: Alcohol is the most favorite drink for all generations in the modern world. It is harmful to health. It causes cancer.
- Eat Healthy Food: To live a healthy life eats fresh food regularly. Keep colorful fruit and fresh vegetables in your regular daily diet. To drink pure water is also necessary for regular body circulations.
- Maintain Healthy Weight: Overweight is very harmful to health. If you have overweight, consult with a doctor who helps you to lose your weight. Always maintain a healthy weight.
Esophageal Cancer Surgery:
Surgery may be used for an early stage of cancer to remove affected cell from the esophagus. But for the later stage, other treatments are preferred. The chemotherapy and radiant therapy may use as other treatment. These treatments may be used before surgery to shrink the tumor. The nearby lymph nodes are removed during surgery if the cancer is found in the esophagus.
The types of surgery of esophageal cancer include:
- Open Surgery: In this surgery, the surgeon may need to cut chest, pain. This surgery depends on to find out where the cancer is in the esophagus. It also depends on the surgeon prefers.
- Esophagectomy: This surgery is used for removing esophageal-stomach cancer. The stomach is connected with the upper part of the esophagus. The surgeon removes the part of the stomach, the esophagus which containing cancer.
Most of the esophagus removed from cancer if the tumor is in the middle or upper portion of the esophagus. The stomach then connected with the esophagus in the neck. The surgeon may be used intestine to make the connection between the two. It moved without damage to its blood vessels. The tissue will die if the vessels are damaged.
Esophageal Cancer Stage:
After diagnosed with esophageal cancer, the doctor tries to find out the stage of cancer. The stage described how much the cancer is in the body. The earliest stage of the esophageal cancer is stage 0. After then it ranges from stage 1 to stage 4.
The stage depends on cancer how much is spread. The esophageal cancer stage 4 is the sign that the cancer is in the last or final stage. It means cancer has spread more. Most of the esophageal cancer starts in the innermost lining of the esophagus. And then grow into deeper with the time.
Esophageal Cancer Survival Rate:
The esophageal cancer is a treatable disease. But in some cases, it is rarely curable. The survival stage depends on many facts, including the stage. The survival rate ranges from 5% to 43%. The 5 years survival people rate is 43%. The 5 years survival rate for people with this disease which spreads among tissues is 23%. If the disease spread over the other parts of the body, the survival rate is 5%.
Esophageal cancer occurs for smoking and drinking alcohol. Smoking and drinking alcohol is not the only cause of esophageal cancer. It is also very harmful to health. For leading a healthy life, avoid smoke, alcohol.
If the symptoms of esophageal cancer are found, consult with a doctor as soon as possible. Cancer may be curable in the first stage. But in the last stage, it is dangerous for life. For that, it is the best way to concern about health, weight and regular diet.