Nicotine replacement therapy is a medically selected process, which helps a person to stop smoking. It is applied for the persons, who want to quit smoking or stopping chew tobacco.
It has the chance to leave smoking or stopping chew tobacco about 50% to 70%. It is also used for other treatments. Moreover, it is used for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. It helps people to stop smoking.
There are various types of therapy including chewing gums, lozenges, adhesive patch, inhaler and nasal spray. It is a kind of products that supply low doses of nicotine. Many of the toxins that used in smoke or tobacco do not use in these products.
Information about the Therapy
The main goal of the therapy is to remove drawings for nicotine and quietness the symptoms of nicotine removal. Here is some information that you must know before starting a nicotine replacement therapy:
- The more cigarettes you smoke, the possibility is more increase to start the therapy.
- You need a counseling program that makes you sure to quit smoking.
- When the therapy is continued, you must not smoke. It can cause build up to a toxic level.
- When the therapy is continued, it helps to prevent weight gain.
- The dose may be decreased slowly with the therapy.
Types of Therapy
Are you tired of struggling to stop smoking? But the habits come back returns. The nicotine replacement therapy is considered the best for you. It will help you to stop smoking. In this therapy, give small doses of nicotine without the injurious side effects of chewing tobacco or smoking. Some nicotine replacement products for the therapy include:
- Chewing Gum: A persons who are addicted to smoking, will chew nicotine gum for 15 minutes after drinking or eating. He will chew it, for up to 30 minutes until the nicotine appetence is slack.
In starting of the therapy, people chew only 1 or 2 pieces of gum per hour. They also chew gums no more than 20 pieces per day. It depends on the habit of people and doses level. Most of the people have significant success on the 4 mg dose.
- Lozenges: The dose of nicotine can be better limited through lozenges than gums. An addicted people should withdraw anything 15 minutes before to use a lozenge.
People should also revoke smoking, as the nicotine is formed from the mix of chewing lozenges and smoking. It can give a good result in nicotine poisoning.
- Nicotine Nasal Spray: The spray must be provided by a doctor. The spray delivers a quick dose of nicotine to satisfy a hunger for a smoke. In starting, the spray will use 1 or 2 times in each nostril in every hour. The spray should not use than 80 times in a day. It can be used for 6 months.
- Nicotine Inhaler: It looks like a plastic cigarette holder. The nicotine inhaler is used for about 20 minutes. Use this inhaler about 16 times a day. It works fast same as the gums.
- Nicoderm Patch: Nicoderm is a kind of medication that belongs to this therapy. It is generally used to help for the people who are over 18 years of age stop smoking. For addicted people, nicotine that causes restlessness, mood swings, irritability and increased hunger.
This Nicoderm patch helps to reduce the nicotine through cigarettes. Nicoderm CQ patches applied to the skin. It gives a solid dose of nicotine over 24 hours. Slowly, the Nicoderm patch dosing is decreased until the person no longer desire nicotine. The people can stop using the medication.
The Nicoderm CQ patch or the medication must be used after doctor suggestions. Discuss with the doctor about your problem and condition. Make sure from your doctor about this medication. Do not leave taking this medication without discussing with the doctor. Nicoderm is available as Nicoderm CQ coupons and Nicoderm CQ patch.
Restrictions on this Medication
Some people should not use this medication, those are:
- The people those have an allergy to nicotine.
- Non-smoker or who smoke occasionally.
- Those are under 18 year age.
- The people just had a heart-attack.
- The women those are pregnant and breastfeeding.
- The people have a skin disorder.
- The people recently had a stroke.
All the nicotine replacement products may cause side effects. It is an unwanted response to the therapy. Side effects can be permanent or temporary, mild or severe.
If you feel side effects, discuss with your doctor. Many side effects of this medication can be managed. Some Nicoderm side effects include:
- Feeling difficulty in sleeping
- Burning, redness, mild itching in the place where the patch was used.
- Upset stomach.
Some other side effects don’t happen very often. They can create major problems if you do not consult with your doctor. The following side effects may occur:
- Feeling pain in the chest.
- Feeling difficulty after stopping the medication or dependence on the medication.
- Create an irregular heartbeat.
- Acute stomach upset.
- Skin irritation, redness, a rash caused by the patch.
- Cold sweat
- Feeling pain in legs
- Feeling disturbed in hearing and vision
- Discolored skin
- Extreme tiredness
Smoking, tobacco is injurious to health. It causes many diseases like cancer, heart-attack. It also can defeat our liver. Nicotine replacement therapy helps you to give up your tobacco and smoking habit.
You may stop smoking for 1 or 2 days. But cannot control yourself to smoke. Again, you start smoking. This therapy can recover you from your problem. It helps you to stop smoking permanently.
If you want to start this therapy at any time, it may not possible. There also have some rules to start this therapy. To start this therapy, you must consult with a doctor. With the doctor’s guide, you can continue your medication.
If you feel any side effects of this therapy or after this therapy, you should discuss with your doctor as soon as possible. This therapy helps you to lead a healthy life without smoking.